Monday, April 22, 2013

Protecting employees from workplace sexual harassment and subsequent retaliation


Q: I WORK for a company where interaction with fellow employees and customers is a big part of my job. Late last year, I began receiving sexually inappropriate text messages and emails from a manager overseeing another department. I have told this person to stop sending me these kinds of messages but it continues. I reported the matter to our human resources director. Instead of investigating the matter, management has begun to closely scrutinize my work and I have been getting severe reprimands for the most minor of lapses. I do not want to jeopardize my job but I also do not want this manager’s horrible conduct to continue. What should I do to protect myself or is it too late?

A. It is never too late to take steps to protect yourself and to ask for help. More importantly, the time to do the right thing is always now when something can still be done. You did the right thing by unequivocally telling the harasser to stop the conduct. Sexual harassment is harassment only if the conduct is unwelcome. To convey that the conduct is unwelcome, one must expressly say “No” or “Stop.” (If the sexual attention is welcomed or consented to, it would not be harassment.)

Click here to continue reading

No comments:

Post a Comment