Friday, February 1, 2013

Age discrimination a growing issue in a difficult economy


“It was my generation – the Baby Boomers – that pushed through federal anti-discrimination laws in 1967,” he said. “Yet, we’re still experiencing the bitter taste of age bias in today’s workplace.”

Robert, who just turned 65, has been searching for a job for several months. After a successful 35-year career in business, he retired in 2007 with what he thought was a sufficient nest egg. However, the subsequent recession and stock market collapse eviscerated his 401(k) and stock holdings.

“I knew it was unrealistic to expect to find a high-level position, especially during the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression. So I set my sights on mid-level positions within a variety of companies,” Robert said. “I dutifully submitted applications for scores of jobs for which I felt well qualified with my extensive experience. In a few cases, I received a politely-worded rejection e-mail; most of the time, however, I received no response whatsoever. I can only attribute it to age discrimination.”

 To continue reading, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment