Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Obesity Discrimination On The Job Provokes Dispute Over Best Remedy

“I’ve been a fat person all my life,” said Peggy Howell, 65, of Las Vegas, Nevada. “I went from being a chubby kid to a fat teenager to a fat adult.”

A former administrator and counselor at a church school, Howell recalled a meeting in the early 1990s with her boss. “Out of the blue, my boss tells me that my weight is an indication that my life is out of control,” said Howell, who has weighed around 300 pounds for most of her adult life. “He said that I had no business counseling other people if I couldn’t even get my life under control and that either I had to lose weight or I’d be fired.”

Howell told The Huffington Post that she had no choice but to agree. Over the next six months, she lost more than 100 pounds, she said. But her boss’s attitude only worsened. A year later, Howell said, she was forced to quit.

To continue reading, click here.

No comments:

Post a Comment